💪🌱 Low in calories but packed full of vital minerals and vitamins, heart healthy omega-3's and massive amounts of antioxidants, chia seeds make an incredibly nutritious addition to any diet, and are easy to consume, simply by adding to your morning smoothie or sprinkled on cereal.
Chia seeds were an important food for the Aztecs and Mayans back in the day. They prized them for their ability to provide sustainable energy, in fact, "chia" is the ancient Mayan word for "strength".
Research suggests that including Chia seeds as part of a healthy diet may help improve cardiovascular risk factors such as lowering cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure. One study found that eating more than an ounce of the seed daily could reduce risk factors for heart disease in people with type 2 diabetes who are already at high risk. Chia has plenty of magnesium, potassium, and omega-3 fatty acids, which all support a healthy heart.
- Complete protein: excellent source of protein 💪 containing high levels of all the essential amino acids . Great for athletes: Chia seeds are hydrophillic (absorbs water) as they prolong hydration and causes the body to retain electrolytes, protecting against dehydration and promoting endurance and recovery.
- Stay young and disease-free: The large amount of antioxidants fight the production of free radicals, which can damage molecules in cells and contribute to ageing and diseases like cancer.
- Very high in fibre: promotes feeling of 'fullness', improves gut health, reduces risk of against colon cancer.
- Healthy bones: the high amounts of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and protein reduce the risk of osteoporosis (brittle bones).
- Helps diabetes sufferers: A study in type 2 diabetics showed that chia seeds can significantly lower blood pressure and reduce inflammation.
- Egg substitute: To use Chia seeds as an healthy, cruelty-free egg substitute in your favorite baked goods simply mix 3 tbsp of water with 1 tbsp finely ground chia seeds in bowl. After 10 minutes or so you will have a gel with a goopy texture similar to raw egg yolk.